White Wash

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014

So I think it's official. The last Brain child (who will actually be named Brain) has been born. My brothers are finished having babies. And I'm so excited to say that I got to watch my last nephew be born! I loved it so much! My SIL manned up and delivered this precious boy without an epidural. I was so proud of her! She made labor look easy.
Finn-Taylor Carson Brain, 6 lbs 1oz, 18 inches long

He was born at 34 weeks so he was required to spend some time in the NICU. He's also been receiving some antibiotics, hence the IV.

I can't wait to see him again! But of course we had to get back to Birmingham. Although for what, I'm not sure... Adam and I have been cooped up in the apartment all day due to all this snow! And I'm not going to work tomorrow either because school is closed.

Yesterday was quite an experience. But now I realize that Atlanta had it worse because it's a bigger city and people had farther to go. I'm very thankful that I made it home last night and slept in my own bed, despite the fact that it took me 8 hours to travel 8.1 miles. This trip should normally take 22 minutes, according to google. Lindsay and I happen to have rotations at the same hospital this month, so it worked out well that we were very close to each other for most of our trip home. After about 5 hours in the car, my phone had 3% battery and I started freaking out so I made the decision to park my car and jump in the car with Lindsay. And by the end of the night, I knew I couldn't have made a better decision. I'm so glad we experienced that hell together.

I thought the best way to remember everything would be to draw it out on a map. So here it is. This is the exact route I took, including deviations to dodge some bad areas. I hope you enjoy reading my story!

Here are a few other photos that I took throughout the day. There are so many other things I wish I could have captured, but I really needed to preserve my phone's battery. Lesson to learn: always carry a phone charger with you in your car. A portable potty, warm clothes, food, and water would also be helpful.
My view from the hospital. It's normally a really pretty view but the snow definitely made it more difficult to see.
About 45 minutes into my trip. I'm less than a mile from the hospital.
I didn't see this happen, I just saw both vehicles just sitting there.
 Pedestrians pushing cars up hills on campus. Notice the pure white roads. That's most certainly a thick sheet of ice. I didn't even attempt it -- this was one of my deviations. 

- - - - - 

Today Adam, Marley, Lindsay, Sadie and I went out to a field behind our complex to play in the snow a little bit. Lucy didn't come because when I took her out this morning to potty, she shivered and kept picking her feet up whenever she stood still. She normally doesn't mind the snow, but I guess today she just wasn't in the mood. Anyway, we had a fun time playing with the dogs and throwing a football around. Apparently this field belongs to a church so we walked up the hill to the church's parking lot to check out the road on the other side. There was traffic, but everyone was moving very slow. We had talked about getting my car today but the roads are still terrible with ice and standstill traffic. Hopefully tomorrow. Here are a few pics. Enjoy!
And since I haven't posted many pictures of Lucy lately...
This is a very full and content pup.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment