White Wash

Friday, November 9, 2012

Love/Hate Relationship

So, Georgia fans ... well, I suppose for the sake of understanding I could extend this to all of the college football teams in the south. Ok, so football fans ... you all know how football is like a religion down here. Your college football team holds such a special place in your heart, especially if it's your alma mater. You have this fire the burns inside of you for that school and no one can really understand it other than, well, the person standing right next to you at a tailgate or football game. But as soon as you hear the marching band play the first few notes of your school's equivalent to our Battle Hymn, you can't help but get a little choked up. You literally have a lump in your throat, chills on your arms, a tear in your eye and a smile on your face. It's just something that makes you happy on a level that's hard to explain. Well, this is how I feel about PA school when I start thinking about how blessed I am to be here. (And let it just be said -- once a dawg, always a dawg - how sweet it is! That'll never change!)

Every now and then I stop to think "Holy crap, I'm really truly actually in PA school. Holy crap. God has actually gotten me this far." And it just makes my heart soar with pride that I'm here. In school. Right now. But not just in any school. I'm in a nationally ranked (top 25), kick-ass surgical program that has a reputation and renowned faculty members. 

I've tried to really step back and evaluate my current situation, and in doing so I've really come to appreciate all the thoughts, hard work, and dedication the faculty and staff have put into this program. I can't even begin to explain all of their hard work, but I've taken note and I've ever so thankful for it. It's the little things, ya know? And they all add up to mean a whole lot.

I remember in the first few days of school Dr. Jennings, the director of the program, told us that over the course of the next 27 months she would push us to our limits -- past our limits, farther than we ever thought we were capable. I can already see that happening. It's SO very soulfully painful to go through at the moment, but I know it'll translate over to a successful career in my future, and when I finish it will contribute to the pride I already feel for being here in the first place.

PA school is hard. Like soul-searching, soul-sucking, emotionally/physically/mentally-draining hard. It's by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, which I guess isn't saying much because I've lived a wonderful, blessed life in my 26 years, but still. :) It's such a challenge on so many levels. But it's also already one of the best things I've ever done in my life. And it's introduced me to some absolutely wonderful people. I guess awesome people are attracted to awesome places and it's an honor for me to be here with these genius people!

I took a screen shot of my desktop on my mac. It's full of inspirational quotes and bible verses that I've gathered over the years and from friends. One of my new best friends, Katie, designed it for me. :) I love looking at it, especially when I'm having a hard day. It keeps me motivated at least long enough to get through the day. And that's all I need, right? Cause I can only take this one day at a time ... 


Anyway, back to studying. That's enough insite to my brain (head) for now. ;)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment