White Wash

Monday, August 20, 2012

Getting Ready for PA School, part 2!

I've been asked by another blogger to elaborate further on my preparations for PA school! First off, congratulations, Christie, for getting in! The career you've chosen is becoming more and more popular and the schools are, in turn, becoming more and more competitive. I would say getting in is half the battle, but I actually have no idea how bad the battle actually is ... I'm only starting week two. :)

So, Christie, since you're at the point where you're already in and you're preparing to start I'll say this. Enjoy the time you have now! You won't have much free time later, but I've been told over and over again that it's extremely important to continue your normal habits once you start school ... exercise (and if you don't already, then start!), continue going to church if that's something you enjoy, and find some time for yourself, whether it be a few nights during the week or maybe a full day on the weekend. If you don't do this, I'm told you'll literally go crazy. Again, I wouldn't know ... I'm not that far in yet.

As far as preparing for school, find out if there is any sort of entrance exam you take once school starts. This could be an anatomy exam or maybe a medical terminology test. Be prepared for this if there is one, but don't over do the studying. You'll be studying a whole lot plenty soon enough and you don't want to get burned out!

Every school's orientation packet will be different, but mine consisted mainly of multiple consent forms stating I had read their policies and procedures and the program handbook. I was also asked to get several immunizations and complete some tests, including a drug test and a background check. Your school will definitely explain all of their requirements, so don't worry about that! And if something on their checklist is unclear, call and ask!

So, that just about sums up my orientation! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to you, Christie, and all of my other fellow PA students! Class of 2014! :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment