White Wash

Sunday, August 19, 2012

One Week In!

Well, this has officially been the longest I've gone without blogging since I started this blog. I don't intend on blogging a whole lot tonight ... I'm pretty tired and ready for bed, but I really wanted to post something with some sort of update on school!

This semester I'm taking Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Clinical Laboratory Medicine and Introduction to the Profession. So, here's what I've experienced so far: a whole lot of emotion, a lot of studying (already), cadaver lab dissection, and pricking my classmates' fingers. That actually sums up my first week very, very well. These two youtube videos do a great job of explaining the "lot of emotion" part. Watch them ... they're really funny/entertaining! Oh, and I'm fully aware that I'm not going to be a doctor at the end of my program, but I absolutely already know how they feel in a lot of ways.



In my one short week of being in the program, they have already beat us down to the ground, or so it feels. It reminds me of the military ... ok, maybe not THAT bad, but the professors are seriously scaring us into submission so I'm too afraid to not study! And I tried to prepare myself for this because I knew they would do this, but I just don't think you can prepare yourself for it. Oh well ... gotta suck it up, because this is my life for the next 27 months!

So, my cadaver lab has been pretty awesome. My classmates and I have been put into groups of 8 students, and each group has a body that has been donated to science by someone who was extremely kind, generous and selfless. I so appreciate the body I've been working on. Just in the first week, we dissected the back and preformed a laminectomy (basically removed part of the spine to look at the spinal cord) and it was amazing. I can't wait to see more!

Other than lab and lectures, my week has been full of buying school supplies, spending time with Adam and the pups and studying. I'm sure this will be the norm for quite a while. I'll give more updates as more exciting things happen. :)

Anyway, that's enough for now! I have an early morning tomorrow. G'nite world!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment