White Wash

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Decorative Window, Dining Area Project, and Weekend Visit with my Fam!

Most of my ideas have come from pinterest, and this is no exception! I saw (as I'm sure you all have seen as well) several decorative indoor windows as wall decorations. Here are some of the photos that gave me ideas:




Here is the window my dad and I made! I love how it turned out.


I decided to use the back side of the window because it had more of a natural, rustic look. The front was a very pretty shade of antique white, but it was stained with red mud, which also aided in my decision to use the back. :) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

So to make this, I bought the window at a flea market for $5 and the guy also gave me an old piece of wood that actually came from the same house as the window as well. Oh, and he had some REALLY awesome vintage milk glass vases. I bought all of those! Those are pictured below. My dad cut the wood down to about 4 inches wide, which made the shelf. He cut out the white board (instead of a chalk board like what's pictured above) and the cork board out of some things we had around the house and then caulked it all together. We also decided to add key hooks just for added function.

Here it is hanging on our wall! This is one of the projects Dad completed for us while he was here. I'm very thankful to have such a handy father! :)


Another project that we worked on while my parents were in town was hanging my shadowbox. I really wanted to showcase it somehow, and Adam and I agreed that the best place to do that was in the dining area. The wall in the dining area is actually pretty big, and unfortunately my little shadowbox looked out of place on the wall by itself. It just so happens that I got a going-away gift certificate from my friend Valerie to Pier 1 -- otherwise known as my favorite store in the entire universe! So I picked out some super cute picture frames to go on the wall along with my shadowbox. I think it turned out rather nice, although it was a real pain to hang! Anyway, here's the final product!


Moving on to our visit! We had SO much fun! The night they got here, we decided to go out to eat downtown and we ended up at a restaurant called The Fish Market. It was such a nice environment with live music playing and the food was really tasty! Saturday morning we went to The Birmingham Zoo and it was unbelievable! I really didn't expect it to be so nice. Here are a few pictures of things that we did/saw while there!


 Molly-Kate said "He's a boy!" :)
 Mom is notorious for closing her eyes in pictures. And I have no idea what Dad is doing.


We had  a lot of fun! Afterwards, we had a late lunch at the apartment then played out by the pool! It was an exhaustingly fun day. That evening is when Dad completed all these projects for me. :) Sunday morning we had a late breakfast and then they all went back home to GA. :( They'll come again soon, though! The girls are already crying to come back. (literally! :)

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That is a creative way to bond with your dad, and it’s great that you were able to come up with a very pretty picture frame together! What I like about it is just how functional you’ve made it. The upper portion serves as the photo frame/vase holder, while the bottom half is for reminders and key holders. Now that’s what you call being smart and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really enjoy doing this with him, and I know he enjoyed it too! Since my husband and I live in an apartment, I feel like we just about how to be creative and purposeful just so we have enough room for everything! :) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. You got a lot of inspiration from Pinterest and you made something distinct from the others. I better check out more of the recycled old windows on that site and I could get more ideas for our home renovation. I just hope the designs that we could select are those that are easier to do. :)


    : Eugene Head

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are fantastic windows! It’s great that I stumbled upon your blog since I have lots of old windows here that are waiting to be thrown. I guess I’ll send them to craft room instead and try to do some of the artwork that you’ve shared here. Well, I hope I can do this perfectly. If not perfect, I hope I can do this a little better. :D

    -Lida Swisher-

    ReplyDelete